BDS in one of the most preferable and common career paths for medical aspirants just like MBBS. Students who want to get admission into BDS Course will get complete information, of course, i.e Eligibility, Admission Process, Fee, Job after BDS Course.
BDS is a four-year undergraduate course in Dentistry and if any students opt to do BDS will have to undergo mandatory internship of one year then total it will take 5 years duration to complete the BDS Course.
BDS Course Details:
Bachelor in Dental Surgery (BDS) is the only course available in India related to the treatment of teeth. BDS course is an intensive 5-year program hence students should have the enthusiasm to pursue a career as a Dentist.
Conducting Body: Dental Council of India is the only body which was formed under the Dentist Act 1948, to regulate and function the Dental Education in India. It is financed by the Ministry of Health Department.
BDS Course Overview:
|Full form||Bachelor of Dental Surgery|
|Eligibility & Requirement||10+2 or equivalent having Physics, Chemistry, Biology with a minimum of 50% Marks|
|Course Duration||5 years|
|Minimum Age||17 Years|
|Course Type||Regular mode|
|Fee Offered||Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 6 Lakh per annum|
|Similar Courses||MBBS, BHMS|
|Job Roles:||Associate Dentist, General Dentist, Dentistry Researcher, Dental health consultant, etc.|
|Placement Opportunity:||Private and Government Hospitals, Private Practices, Dental Clinics|
If you want to take admission into the BDS course then you should meet the eligibility criteria of course. Ensure eligibility criteria before applying for the BDS course.
- Applicant should have passed 12th Science Stream from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% Marks.
- Qualifying subjects should be Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
Bachelor in Dental Surgery (BDS) course is a five-year-long undergraduate course. The first four years will be dedicated to studies while 1 year will be a mandatory internship.
BDS Course: Admission Process
Aspirants of Bachelor in Dental Surgery can get admission through Entrance Exams. Most of the BDS course seats can be secured through National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET). NEET is a national level test, clearing the entrance exam of NEET, you can secure a seat in any of the listed colleges.
Apart from NEET, there are other popular Entrance Tests are:
- All India Common Entrance Test Bachelor of Dental Surgery [AICET BDS]
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research [JIPMER]
- Rama University Entrance Test [RUET]
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test [IPU CET]
- Siksha O Anusandhan University Admission Test [SAAT]
- Goa Common Entrance Test [GCET]
- Madhya Pradesh Dental/Medical Admission Test [MPDAT]
Top BDS Colleges:
Aspiring students of BDS should understand the importance of good colleges. BDS is a lucrative profession and hundreds of colleges are available in India. You should aspire and try to secure a seat in one of the top BDS Colleges in the country. Some of the Top BDS Colleges are:
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences
- Government Dental College & Hospital
- Nair Hospital Dental College
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences
- Government Dental College & Research Institute
- Faculty Of Dental Sciences, King George’s Medical University
- Christian Dental College
- SDM College of Dental Sciences
- Post-Graduate Institute of Dental Science
- Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College & Hospital
- Sri Ramachandra Dental College & Hospital
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences
BDS Course Fee:
BDS Course varies from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 6 Lakhs per annum. Usually, Government Dental College cost a lesser amount compared to private colleges.
Advance Course Options After BDS Course:
BDS course is a complete course in itself but if someone wants to pursue higher studies for a better knowledge base or career opportunities. They can go with some Advance course options:
- Master of Dental Surgery in Community Dentistry
- Master of Dental Surgery in Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
- Master of Dental Surgery in Oral Medicine & Radiology
- Master of Dental Surgery in Pediatric Dentistry
- M.Sc. in Primary Dental Care
- M.Sc. in Restorative and Artistic Dentistry
Government Job Opportunities After BDS Course:
Yes, after completing BDS Course you can grab government job opportunities as well. Some of the profile where you can be employed
- Indian Air force as a Dental Officer.
- As a Territorial Officer in Indian Army
- Dentist in Railways
- Army Dental Corp
- Indian Navy as Dental Officer
- State government jobs as Dental Surgeon
Job Roles After BDS Course:
BDS Course provides you great employment opportunities after completing the BDS Course. Depending on the knowledge and interest areas you can be given job roles such as:
- Oral Pathologist
- Oral Surgery
- Dental Surgeon
- Hotel Management
Generally Asked Questions
Why to chose BDS Course?
BDS course is one of the most popular courses along with MBBS in the medical industry. The field of Medicine is always evergreen and provides full of opportunities. You will have a great career opportunity after completing a Bachelor of Dental Surgery.